My day at Knockhill circuit.

BlairM

Today was my experience at Knockhill. Having to go through Glasgow we left very early and were at Knockhill for the back of 8am, if we'd left it any later we wouldn't have got there for 9/9.30am thanks to that Kingston Bridge.

Once open popped into the briefing area and got a coffee, as Knockhill is on the side of hill about 800ft above sea level if you believe it!

Got sat down for the briefing and it was a chap named Harry who gave it, he was spot on and friendly as were all the instructors at Knockhill today. Had to laugh when he said 1st place trophy's are available for £10 from the office if you don't win it - Knockhill don't miss a trick! :D

Anyway I was in the second group of four so headed up to the race command area and no sooner had I then my name was called out to go and get a helmet.

First up was 3 laps in the SEAT Ibiza Cupra's. These are great cars and they make you feel really confident even in the damp track conditions we had today. Three laps in them being given instructions by my instructor Scott.

Straight out of them into a Leon Cupra, 4 of us passengers and one instructor who showed how to do it on one lap and then on the next how "not to do it". I'm glad I had the front seat so I could hold on to it!

Next up was the Single Seater car, powered by a Honda Fireblade motorcycle engine - as I'm a tall chap it was a squeeze and the pedals were weird - especially the brake. It wasn't a convential feeling brake and I can only guess it was a switch type thing to operate the brakes since these are experience cars and Knockhill want them kept in one piece! That took a lap or two of getting used to but I soon started enjoying it using 4th round the corners and twisties and 5th then 6th on the straight. The sequential box was great fun! Seven laps of that then it was back in to the pits, experience over debrief the only thing left.

This is where you find out who came 1st and 2nd (dunno why they don't have 3rd especially being 'motorsport' !).

2nd place was won with 77.5 pts, 1st with 79 (or 78..). I was neither lol but very close on 76 pts. My card read: "Excellent driving, smooth and always in control".

It was a great day and I wish I could do that every day! Brilliant to finally get on this track that I have been spectating at for years, it all looks so different from that side of the fence!

But needless to say if I didn't already have 'the bug' it infected me today! Never been as sure I want to have a go at racing myself.

Now follows lots of pics!

Single Seaters:

DSCF2141Small.jpg

Legends:

DSCF2142.jpg

Ibiza Cupras:

DSCF2143.jpg

Thats me in yon car!:

DSCF2144.jpg

Taking off my helmet before going in the Leon Cupra for an 'experience' !

DSCF2149.jpg

Respect to people who can manage this in one go!

DSCF2153.jpg

Heading out in the Single Seater (After obligatory stall. :-[ )

DSCF2157.jpg

On Track flying by the Pit Wall. 8) 8) 8)

DSCF2166.jpg

how much did that set u back mate. I went to the rally day with a pal o mine who done the rallying in the sierra on the gravel/tarmac rally bit they have. While she was doing that tho i got a down and back "experience" in the Grp N cosworth (ex mcrae recce car) they have there. That was fooking immense,Anti lag on the Fcuker. Id love a go round the track in one of them single seaters (im assuming thats the fastest car they had)

It was a pressie so not sure how much it cost but I'd say at least £100.

It was probably the fastest car there along with the Legends. There was a two seater car going round as well but you can't drive that. Also a road going Ferrari but that costs £250 to have a go in!

Forgot to mention the Cupras are limited to 4000rpm although the times I looked at the dials you don't get over 70mph anyway.

Edited by BlairM