My incredibly painfully slow internet problem on other computer?

Apnea

Right, I always do, and always have for the last 3 years is use my laptop for the internet on wireless, its runs a really good download speed, like I can stream tv and films really easily and nicely. However last week the worst thing happened the charger broke leaving me computer-less. And two days ago I had a brainwave at work and realised I might aswell just use the ethernet cable and go on my other pc untill I get paid and can afford a new charger. However after spending about an hour getting the frigging internet working and connected to this computer, I noticed one incredibly annoying feature, the internet is now painfully slow.

It's definatly not the PC, its just the speed the internets running, downloading an application update took over 40mins for a 39mb file. And wirelessly would of done that in less than a minute. And watching videos on youtube is nearly impossible, because it just buffers all the time, I thought it might be my browser and flash player, but I upgrading them all (after three years of no use) and it hasent made any difference. The problem maybe is the modem in the back of the computer but on my networks its showing a rate of 100mps which is normal and right apparently. Yesterday i put my laptop on and it connected wirelessly to the router, I thought maybe its stealing all the juice and leaving my pc with little connection. It's really strange I just cant think how to sort this.

The modem on my pc is a intel® PRO100 or something. And just using a normal orange router. and the ethernet cable. Any ideas ?

• 2 weeks later...