Oily inlet

Mike-evans

Found the HG had gone on my GTi a few weeks ago, then I noticed blue smoke, so burning oil (only seen this once or twice, was never major or constant)..

I sourced a 2.0l to fit in..

Now I have my GTi engine out I can see whats going on. One thing Ive noticed is, one of the inlet ports on the head and inlet manifold is oily...

Im thinking it was not valve seals or piston seals causing the oil smoke...

Why does oil get into the inlet manifold? Is it something to do with the breather/ PCV system? whats the theory behind it?

The breather crank case and head around back into the inlet so oily air goes back into the engine. Over time you can get oily residues in the inlet.

Not sure if its the same on all engines but some have filters before the air box and sometimes a pressure dependant filter. Imagine a loose filter, positive pressure allows the flow of air and the filter moves to open the breather port, negative pressure sucks the filter down as to not loose crankcase pressure.

People also put a filter straight on the breather pipe and blank off the air box port. Technically not legal but gives cleaner air to the engine.

There's two ways to be sure your head gasket has failed. First do a pressure test to see what it shows up. Then strip and inspect it. Stripping it may rip the gasket apart though.

I had a sniff test done on it and should to have gases in the cooling system, also it pressurising something terrible.....

Anyway the engine is out now so Ill remove the head and have a look, see if I can see any obvious blows in the HG

normally highly pressurised cooling system is a head gasket fail between the cylinders and cooling system. if the head gasket still looks intact get the deck and the underside of the head checked to make sure they are flat. would probably cost you about £40-50 for a skim to clean. you can have a check yourself with a straight edge if you know that its straight that is.

get a picture up of the condition when its stripped.