What speed should my engine idle at?

Chris_1.8Si

Just a thought coz someone else didn't know it on another forum - it's got injection and therefore an auto choke so it should idle a bit higher on a cold day than on a warm one :)

Sorry if i insulted your intelligence there ;)

also they have way overly complicated engine management systems so knock sensors etc will alter timing, engine speed etc etc, but it shouldn't alter the engine speed to such a level that it's really noticable i'm only takling about it going up or down by say 50rpm max.

i only ask cos my clio used to idle at about 500rpm... this engine seems to float around the 1000rpm mark...

when its had a run of say my 20 miles home from work, i can let it sit and it'll drop to about 750/800rpm then rise back up to about 1000, then after about 10 15 seconds it'll drop down to 750/800 again and then back to 1000, it carries on doing this all by itself...

The thing that worries me is that the lowest it seems to idle is 750rpm for that brief time it drops to it and then rises back up!

and it doesn't help when people like Ross say that there engine idles at 500 rpm! :vangry: ;)