HELP!! Stop me killing myself!!

simion_levi

Hmmm, making life difficult for myself - this time, I fcuk up the nomally Pee-easy installation of a ford Strut brace on my mk6.

Whacked it on, did up the 3 top mount bolts on each suspension turret, then ....SNAP!.... teach me not to check torque settings properly, sheared one of the bolts. So my nearside sus. turret now has only the front two bolts protruding through & bolted on, with the inner rear bolt sheared just after it exits from the strut brace plate.

This is the bit marked as the 'Top retainer' - piece G in the diagram at bottom of section 10.5 Haynes (1737 - Green, latest book). Pic is of a mkV sus. strut setup, but the mk6 is identical save for an extra bolt on this top retainer.

Mechanic across the street from me reckons it'll be fine driving around as normal with just the two bolts there - and he knows his stuff normally. I agreed that even mk5 escys have only two bolts as above, so don't feel too bad - but does anyone here think differently?? Obviously I want to know if this is going to be dangerous, and I can get a new top retainer from scrappie and replace it now - but I'll be dropping the car by 40mm within the next 6 months anyhow, and would prefer to wait until the full spring & shock kit is being installed to shove a new retainer on.