Car + ford = Hydrolock?

Adam_S

I was driving along yesterday evening to try and find a quiet area to test my new car alarm i just fitted. Out in the country at about 9pm in 2nd gear doin between 20-30 when all of a sudden a ford appears. I new it was around the area but there was no signs or depth gauges so i went in. It stopped me n my mate quickly got out through the windows n got it out.

It wouldnt start n got RAC towed home. I spent all day stripping the seats out to get the wet carpet out n even managed to get new carpets, underlay, seats off a writen off SI for £100.

My mechanic mate had quick look at the engine, he recons the con rod are bent but is abit stumped as there is gd compression in all cylinders. we've had the sparks out n ran it n lots came out, the throttle assembly has water in it. Also the Cat had water in it.

So im definitly gonna need a new cat, anyone know how much a cat would cost, just the cat?

Anyone ever waterlogged there engine before and had this problem?

Many Thanks

Adam

Funking hell! :O

How quickly did the engine stop? If it was instant then it's hydraulically locked. But you need to suck up a fook load of water to do that!

How easily does the engine turn over? If should struggle if a 'rod is bent, if turn over at all!

With the sparks off it turns over easily

I reckon you've been lucky.

Sounds like it's sucked up water, enough to stop it with the water vapour etc.... but not enough to hydraulic lock it.

I reckon you should take all the plugs off. Turn it over a couple of times, 10seconds each. Then pour a little oil down each cylinder (but only a little!) to keep it lubricated.

Turn over again a couple of times, 10secs each.

Refit spark plugs.

Hopefully the battery won't be flat, if it is, charge the battery up overnight.

Try to start it the following day. If it starts, expect some smoke from the oil which you put into the chambers.

Get the oil and filter changed when it starts to run again, don't wanna kill the bearings with milky water after all the effort to get it started again!

Best of luck matey, lets us know how you get on! :cheers:

Edited by Ex-Finesse

Is it possible that it's flooded?  :P

I have seen it in the garage where i used to work, but it was on a Diesel. Put the piston clean through the side of the engine and snapped some of the head bolts!

yeah diesels are a lot worse for it because of the compression ratio X(