idling, revs sticking etc

Panther

There are many many threads and posts giving me ideas as to what my problem is, however none that actually pinpoint it specifically, im after someone that has had the exact same problem & has had it sorted & knows what it was: heres my issue

car starts fine hot and cold, generally idles too low, 500-700 rpm usually, and jumps around a little.

Normal driving (not exceeding 3000rpm) the car seems fine.

when you put your foot down and take it upto 4000 rpm, it sticks at 3500-4000, and will nearly evertime stay there unless i take the ignition off then put it back on.... sometimes will drop itself - down to below 500 rpm, then jump up and down for a few seconds until it gets back to about 700.

Real problem is the embarrassment of my engine reving at 4000rpm when i pull up to some lights or something then pedestrians looking at me like im from fooking mars

Some1 please enlighten me as to weather this sounds like ICV lamda sensor mass air flow sensor or what.. thanks.!!

It is probably the Idle Control Valve mate, they fcuk up all the time. Take it off and give it a good clean. If that doesnt fix your problem then try replacing it or unplugging your MAF sensor (the one next to the airbox) and see if that sorts it, if so it will need replacing. Do not run it for too long without the MAF though as it will make it run rich and in a worse case scenaro will blow your head gasket.

A how to on how to clean the ICV can be found here .

Edited by Muzz