boot electrics

Bennys_Si

hiya guys,

well i got round to looking at the problems i have with the electrics in the boot, such as fog light not working, rear wiper, and remote boot release.

well its a strange one cos if i have the fog light swith on then the boot release works. and if it is off then when you press the boot release the light for the rear fogs come on the switch.

very similiar thing with the rear wiper and the rear heater switch.

so now it leads me to beleive its the relay?

is it one relay for all three switches?? if so where is it?

or if you have another idea i would be very grateful.

:cheers:

It's caused by a poor earth in the boot. The hatch is earthed via the hinges, these rust over time and causes the poor earth. When this happens, you get lights in other switches coming as you turn on something in the boot (rear heater, wiper or fog) as it tries to earth through them instead.

Easy to check: shut the hatch and from inside the car hold a wire from hatch to car body. Make sure the wire touches bare metal on both ends. Get someone to try the boot electrics switches...if everything works then there's 2 ways to fix it.

Temporary fix is to tap the hinge centre pins from side to side to dislodge rust and spray some wd40 on them. This will only work for a short time.

Permenant fix is to run a new earth wire from the hatch to the body. I ran a wire from the rear wiper motor earth to the rear light cluster earth. You could just loosen the hinge bolts and loop a bit of wire between the two halves.