Tinted Rear Lights

Phill

I'd like to tint the rear lights on my Mk6, and have had several suggestions on how to do it.

The top two seem to be either spray the existing lights with tinting spray, or simply strap some old tights around them which sounds lame as hell, but doesn't look as bad as I'd expected when I saw a Pug 405 with it done.

However, I foresee problems with the tights ripping every three days or so.

Is the spray tint stuff any good? Also, how easy is it to do? Is it simply a matter of taking the lenses out and giving them a quick blast, or more complicated than that?

What is the legal sitch with tinted rears? I've heard stories of people failing their MOT because of it. If so, I was thinking of just getting some non-tinted lenses from a scrappy and putting them on at test time.

If anyone has done this and can offer advice, I would, as always, be your humble servant.

Well, I'd say thanks anyway. :)

Also, try not to use too many layers of the spray stuff. Had a mate who decided to put 8, yes, 8 layers on his. :nutter: Needless to say, 2 days later someone ran into the back of him as they didn't see him braking! To make it worse, the coppers blamed him for the accident for having defective rear lights!

Otherwise, what is said is correct. You must have a red rear reflector showing and the brake lights must be of the correct colour and brightness.

Has anyone else wondered about spraying their lights with a thin layer of body colour paint? Have thought about this for mine, but am guessing it's major hassle to get the right amount of paint on them? ?(

Wigster.

hello mate. i got my lights tinted eventually after getting fed up of replacing the tights every week or so, plus when it rains you get water in your boot !

my rear lights had 5 coats of tinting spray, dried in a car oven for 20 mins then 5 coats of lacquer then dried in the oven for a further 20 mins. they reflect very well and look the bolox !!!

Yeah ive done this, had the tints on for a year, my car passed the mot with the reflectors tinted! Never been pulled over for having them either but last week i decided to get rid of them cos i prefered them standard.

How to get the tinting spray off: USE NAIL POLISH REMOVER (acetone) AND A DRY CLOTH. It works a treat and saves loads of hassle! :thumb: