Rough idle

longpot

First off, I know this is kinda a repost, but it's unrelated to my original problem. Basically I snapped an exhaust valve (somehow), so I got the head off, re-ground in a new valve and rebuilt head with new gaskets, bolts and cam belt. I know I should probably have done all the valves, but the car really isn't worth the money. (1.4 CVH btw) Once back together it was very reluctant to start, now it starts every time but idles really lumpy, smooths out a bit at over 2000rpm, but you can still feel it's not right. I've double checked the timing, and although it feels like it's running on 3 cylinders, a "pull the respective HT lead" test shows it's firing on all four, as removing any one of the leads kills it. I'm leaning towards bad compression on my part of doing a Shite job grinding the new valve in, and a compression gauge should be here tomorrow. Just wanted to see if there was anything else that would give these symptoms? Good spark and fuel in all chambers, no sludge in water or oil.

Cheers

First off, I know this is kinda a repost, but it's unrelated to my original problem. Basically I snapped an exhaust valve (somehow), so I got the head off, re-ground in a new valve and rebuilt head with new gaskets, bolts and cam belt. I know I should probably have done all the valves, but the car really isn't worth the money. (1.4 CVH btw) Once back together it was very reluctant to start, now it starts every time but idles really lumpy, smooths out a bit at over 2000rpm, but you can still feel it's not right. I've double checked the timing, and although it feels like it's running on 3 cylinders, a "pull the respective HT lead" test shows it's firing on all four, as removing any one of the leads kills it. I'm leaning towards bad compression on my part of doing a Shite job grinding the new valve in, and a compression gauge should be here tomorrow. Just wanted to see if there was anything else that would give these symptoms? Good spark and fuel in all chambers, no sludge in water or oil.

Cheers

Compression test it before doing anything else.

Ok, well found the issue. Number 1 (where the valve work was done) is at 11 Bar, Number 2 at 10 Bar, Number 3 at 1 Bar and Number four at 3 Bar. Clearly something is very wrong, I tried putting a plug in number 4, to test for an inter-cylinder leak but still no compression in 3. This thing has a brand new head gasket and head bolts, and ran fine before it snapped the valve. Any Ideas? :nutter:

sounds like you have bent all the valves mate, it may not lookit but whilst re-seating the valves you will notice un even wear, i noticed this luckily whilst re-building my 16 valve engine, it ws only because i thought it would be good practise re-seating all the valves, checked for the wear pattern and it was un-even, so i had to replace all 16valves

if interested i might be able to get a rs turbo engine if ya want it. its currently fitted to a mark 5 fiesta, was running prior to fitting, but hadnt had running due to loom issues