top end knocking

charlie si

:nutter: :nutter: this one has got me the head gasket had gone on my 1.8 si so i stripped it down got the head skimmed new gasket ect rebuilt it got all the timming right fired it up i had a misfire put new plugs leads ect in same thing took it down the road see if it needed a good clean out next thing i got a loud knocking sound its definatly top end checked the cams their ok doesnt sound like tappets its alot louder than that,think i should of stayed with my rs turbo's ;( ;(

If it's got a missfire and a top end knock it sound's like either a bent valve or buggered valve seat off the head gasket going and engine getting too hot. Either way it'd be cheaper to get another head rather than repairing that one.

What size engine is in your Si? I've got a 1.8 130 spec cylinder head here complete with cam's all skimmed and pressure tested ready to go on ;) I'm not THAT far from you either up in the north east, £80 and the head's your's

Could possibly meet half way too for diesel token's :thumb:

when you re-built the engine did you test the hydraulic lifters, you should squeeze the old oil out of them, i done this to make sure all was fine with mine, in doing so i popped a weak one, it could just be a lifter mate, not only that whilst starting your car back up you would be building up oil pressure again, start it up a few times and let it run a few times to see if the knocking goes away, if it dont i wud point at a hydraulic lifter gone