removing driveshafts

t-man

im a little confused by the above? its not that clear.

once you have disconnected the track rod end and the lower ball joint the inner cv ( gearbox end ) should lever out easily enough, remember you will need to replace the snap ring before you refit it, the other end thats connected to the hub is often a pain. theres a few ways to remove it loosen the nut in the centre, leave it on by a couple of threads then place a block of wood on the nut and hit with a hammer, once its popped you can remove the nut and pull it out. if that fails then you can use a hub seperater if you have one. using a hub seperater is a better method but it depends weather you have the tools or not.

now as you say you want all of it but not the outer ( thats what confused me ), it is possible to leave the outer c.v connected to the hub. there is a circlip on the rear of it that needs releasing then the shaft will pull out.

im a little confused by the above? its not that clear.

once you have disconnected the track rod end and the lower ball joint the inner cv ( gearbox end ) should lever out easily enough, remember you will need to replace the snap ring before you refit it, the other end thats connected to the hub is often a pain. theres a few ways to remove it loosen the nut in the centre, leave it on by a couple of threads then place a block of wood on the nut and hit with a hammer, once its popped you can remove the nut and pull it out. if that fails then you can use a hub seperater if you have one. using a hub seperater is a better method but it depends weather you have the tools or not.

now as you say you want all of it but not the outer ( thats what confused me ), it is possible to leave the outer c.v connected to the hub. there is a circlip on the rear of it that needs releasing then the shaft will pull out.

hub side is out. track rod is off. what i want to know is the anything keeping the driveshaft in the gearbox as dont seam to be as "free". fells like somthing holding them in. i dont want to remove the gaiters closest to the gearbox as i still need to pull the other parts out. it

you could leave the end of the shaft in the gearbox (as long as you cover it up with a sandwich bag or something to keep Shite off of it). then rebuild the rest of your shaft and slot it all back in.

on the other hand if you do want to remove it then you need a pry bar or similar to lever it out. go under the cup and against the gearbox casing, it should 'pop' out and prepare for a bit of gearbox oil to drain out.

remember to renew the copper snap rings on the gearbox end of the shaft before refitting (thats what locks it in).

if it were me i would go to ford and buy both sizes of snap ring because they never seem to supply to correct size and take the unused ones back after.

you could leave the end of the shaft in the gearbox (as long as you cover it up with a sandwich bag or something to keep Shite off of it). then rebuild the rest of your shaft and slot it all back in.

on the other hand if you do want to remove it then you need a pry bar or similar to lever it out. go under the cup and against the gearbox casing, it should 'pop' out and prepare for a bit of gearbox oil to drain out.

remember to renew the copper snap rings on the gearbox end of the shaft before refitting (thats what locks it in).

if it were me i would go to ford and buy both sizes of snap ring because they never seem to supply to correct size and take the unused ones back after.

is it just a matter using force ?

i need to remove the shaft piece that locates into the diff. the part the driveshaft is connected to

in the gearbox?

lever it with a big pry bar/crow bar etc. it pops in and out. once you've got it out it will pop in and out easier (you need to replace the snap ring)

lol yes lots of force. i held onto the car and put my foot on the pry bar then used as much force as i needed to (alot)

your not bloody wrong there, i only just bought 2 snap rings yesterday and guess what? they are the wrong size

remove lower ball joint bolt, undo drive shaft nut, you can remove track rod end if wanted to but can be done with it still bolted to the hub, the key is to try and get the drive shaft as straight as possible this is so that the circlip/snap ring has nothing to catch on, if the drive shaft is not straight it wll catch and is a pain in the bum to remove, once drive shaft is straight, would be good to have 2 of u doin it but doing it by urself is ok then give it a quic sharp pry with the pry barand it should slide out, beforeful not to slip cause i have taken halkf me knuckles off before doing it

when i done mine i only undid the bottom fixing on the hub/wishbone. then there was enough movement to remove everything.

another thing you'll want to replace is the hub nuts. again buy both sizes just to be safe, thats another thing that rarely end up being the correct size