Engine Crane Help

dansGTI

Right, i have a Sealey 1 ton foldable engine hoist/crane, and it isnt very old at all. And i have a problem with it! The problem started after the crane was laid down in the back of a transit, then it wouldnt work after this.

The hydraulic ram has a fault, but its a strange one, if you lift the arm of the crane, it will stay up (and it will take the weight of an engine). BUT the crane will not pump up into this position, when you pump it, it goes up, but then goes back down again. But like i said, whatever valve is inside, the ram will stay up if you lift it manually. So the fault has to be in the little bit that pumps the fluid in. But like i said, its not that old! The only thing i can think of that may have caused it some problems, is it was left outside for a little bit in january............. (dont all call me a tw*t) :rolleyes:

But the hoist did work after being left outside anyway, admittedly not as well, but it did work.

I have topped it right up with the correct hydraulic fluid because it thought it might have been low, no joy. Although i will say it took a massive amount of fluid!!

Ive looked and i do not want to buy a new complete hoist, but if needs be i'll buy the ram, but its nigh on impossible to find somebody who will sell me just the ram. And i need it like, NOW! Its causing me a huge issue

If its not that old surely its under warrenty still? If not have you tried Sealey themselves for spare parts?

Sales & General Enquiries Tel (01284) 757 500

Fax (01284) 703 534

Email sales@sealey.co.uk

Technical Hotline Tel (01284) 757 505

Fax (01284) 757 561

Fax Order Hotline Fax (01284) 767 626

Spares Fax (01284) 760 160

Accounts Tel (01284) 706 966

Fax (01284) 752 752

mine livs out side laid down !! works fine every time ! try getn a survice on the ram ! :unsure: may be sumat n nowt !

Hmmmm, then whats up with it, i thought the weather or laying down killed it. The pump part does work, its like a valve or summat wont hold the pressure, but the ram will stay up if i pull it up. The the only way to get it down is use the bleed screw as normal?!?!?

If it was knackered, i would expect it to not go up at all, and just fall down again

If its not that old surely its under warrenty still? If not have you tried Sealey themselves for spare parts?

Sales & General Enquiries Tel (01284) 757 500

Fax (01284) 703 534

Email sales@sealey.co.uk

Technical Hotline Tel (01284) 757 505

Fax (01284) 757 561

Fax Order Hotline Fax (01284) 767 626

Spares Fax (01284) 760 160

Accounts Tel (01284) 706 966

Fax (01284) 752 752

Thanks mate, will give them a call!!

sounds like there is air blockage inside it

fresh change of fluid and thats what fixed an engine crane for me once