E-mail forms

sidrick

Afternoon geeks,

I work as part of a small IT department supporting approximately 500 users at 12 sites. We get a lot of request in via e-mail for, for example, new starts. These will be along the lines of:

'Bill Murray starts at Dundee BMW tomorrow, please set him up with e-mail, progress, etc etc etc'.

For me this etc etc boils my pee, as we don't know what these goons need to do their jobs, and this leads to them coming back to you about 3 times with additional access and information.

I want to create an online (our intranet) form that has mandatory fields that the users fill in and it e-mails the contents to us. Not a problem, I've done this a few times before. However, the issue is that the 'action="mailto:sidrick@hero.co.uk"' command looks to send from the local default e-mail client. Not usually a problem, but we generally use mdaemon webmail and most machines here do not have Outlook/Office installed nor configured. As such, there is no local mail client to send the form from on most PCs, rendering the form useless.

What I need to know is the code (form is HTML and Javascript), or where to get the code, to send the e-mail from the hosting server's SMTP services once they've been configured.

Does anyone (stu, Stoo) know, or can they point me in the right direction?

n.b. knightrider and 2f2f, neither of you will know, so there's no need to comment. Cheers.

Ideally you'd want to know what system you were using on your Intranet, the web server used for that should have a mail server setup (even if it's just SMTP), once you know what system/language you are using, you can then look at what's required in the server side language.

Catch me on MSN if you want..