flickering rev counter

jack mc

rite well, whenever i put my electric window up whilst the engines running the rev counter sometimes flickers up about 500 rpm as my window reaches the top and starts to kill the motor. it has done this for a few months since ive had the car witch is fine, i can live with that. but now my car has started to tick over up and down between 400 rpm and 1100 rpm witch i thort straight away, no problem its the idle control valve yes ?. but once you get going soon as it reaches 5500 rpm the engine cuts straight off nearly throwing you through the windscreen, and the rev counter well flicker rapidly down to about3000 rpm then straight back up agen to what ever the engine still runs after this normaly untill you boot it back up to 5500 rpm again. i have a feeling it is running lean but what could be causing this and the rev counter spazisms ?thanks

rite well, whenever i put my electric window up whilst the engines running the rev counter sometimes flickers up about 500 rpm as my window reaches the top and starts to kill the motor. it has done this for a few months since ive had the car witch is fine, i can live with that. but now my car has started to tick over up and down between 400 rpm and 1100 rpm witch i thort straight away, no problem its the idle control valve yes ?. but once you get going soon as it reaches 5500 rpm the engine cuts straight off nearly throwing you through the windscreen, and the rev counter well flicker rapidly down to about3000 rpm then straight back up agen to what ever the engine still runs after this normaly untill you boot it back up to 5500 rpm again. i have a feeling it is running lean but what could be causing this and the rev counter spazisms ?thanks

Erratic idle, a question asked many times could be why no one has responded- have a look at the How to Section 2nd page and there is a guide by AdrianMole0. I'd post a link but I'm shite with PC's and the last time I tried it didn't work!

If you exhaust that list and it doesn't get sorted then take it to a garage- a good one.

it isnt the idle that bothers me so much its the random rev counter that gets me idles gonna be air flow mates as it idles fine at 1100 with it un plugged but it still cuts at 5500 witch will proberly be also the air flow meter or coil leads or plugs but the rev counter has always flickered but dint no wether it was due to faulty wireing loom or something. just wanted to no if anyone has had this problem befor