Windows 8 Developers Preview

scottg17

Out for download today, we have it running on a virtual at work but I'm downloading it to dual boot with my PC.

Pretty much identical to windows 7 except the traditional start menu has been replaced with a tiled layout similar to the new windows phones... It seems its prime intent will probably be to hit the tablet market

http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Windows-8-Start-Menu.png

Had this sent to me today also, not installed it yet.

Apparently it is just Windows 7 with the Metro UI overlay at this stage which is apparently also compatible with Windows Phone 7 apps to copy the iPhone/iPad app sharing.

As a dev and a Windows Phone 7 user... I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

(Rumours say Windows Phone 7.5 aka Mango is out tomorrow also!)

Looks messy & cluttered!

Well, it is a Developers Preview, it's not intended for end-users.

It's not bad, takes a little to get used to the start menu not being there, but if you've used 7 you probably use icons pinned to the taskbar the most.

I've already been making a few Metro apps to have a play around with it, the new WinRT (Windows Runtime) is very nice.

Had this sent to me today also, not installed it yet.

Apparently it is just Windows 7 with the Metro UI overlay at this stage which is apparently also compatible with Windows Phone 7 apps to copy the iPhone/iPad app sharing.

As a dev and a Windows Phone 7 user... I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

(Rumours say Windows Phone 7.5 aka Mango is out tomorrow also!)

Yeah, its all it looks like to me... still haven't got mine to install right though, used the 64bit version dual booting on mine and all i got was a black screen and cursor for about an hour.

Downloading the 32bit version and ill see how that goes lol

As it is out the box it will be a very good OS for tablets as its intended. the very 1st time I saw it I immediately thought of win phone 7