air leak

hey i recently shut of the engine with my hand in the window so i was out side the car , as it shut of i heard air escaping like some letting down a tyre, so i popped the hood after a series of stopping and starting i located the noise to this in the picture below , im curious to what it is and its purpose , so any help would be greatly appreciated cheers guys

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/allanmichealsmith/photo.jpg

Any one ???

If it helps it's just under the window wiper mechanism along where the battery sits

I opolagise for the picture quality it was taken with a iPhone in the dark,

Also I'm curious if this part is a diesel only thing or do the petrols also have this. ?

Any help appreciated even if your nit 100% certain , I'm currently sat clueless here.

Hey thanks for the reply no it not a fuel hose going into it I know it's not clear I'll take another picture tomorrow , the metal thing goes into it & when I put the glow plugs on the metal inserts into it when the engine shuts off the metal thing then releases slowly , weird huh haha

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/a...nt=DSCF0491.mp4

hope this video helps , the engine is completely standard with no modifications , one thing i did noticed watching this video is the metal rod didnt move in & out as quick as it used to in the video you can barely see it move but you can hear the hissing which i didnt expect the camera to pick up as it does seem to have gone quieter, like ive already said any opinions welcomed : )

That looks very turbo actuator to me.

Hey thanks for the reply some one else also said the same thing to me tonight , so I'm guessing this needs replacing? It's not causing any running problems so far ..... Would you happen to know how hard it would be to replace?

Only one way to find out. On the gold part, feel for a small hose coming off of it.

Opposite end to the bolts holding it on

I can tell the 'bar' is going backwards towards the passenger compartment...

So?

Would that not be the bar that operates the valve on the turbo?

I doubt he has a turbo in his dashboard.