GTi HG failure now burning oil

Mike-evans

Some of you may seen my thread recently about my coolant leak, thought Id start a new one due to the engine getting worse and now know the source of the problem:censored:

Story - noticed water leaking, had a sniff test done which confirmed gases in cooling system - HG failure..

Plan was, got quoted £398 off my local regular garage, to do the HG, skim and pressure test the head, rebuild head with valve seals and cam seals and re-seat vavles, new timing kit and waterpump.....

Now I've found out that its burning oil, smoking with a bluish tint, 3 plugs are white/light brown with dry tops of the pistons, 1 plug is black sooty with wet/oily top of piston....

Question is, how do I tell if its the vavle seals seeping oil, or piston oil seals?

Options to me now:

Scrap the car (even though Im attached to it and actually like the car)

Break it (dont really have time or space for this)

New 1.8 or 2.0 engine?

If the valve seals are hard it's a possibility, i'm betting it's the valve seals, how many miles has the car done?

You wont know if the piston rings are good without removing the pistons but if there's a load of bore wear that will give you an idea, feel for a lip near TDC the bigger that lip the more bore has been worn away.

I'd check compression before diving into all this though.