fitting a lower front strut brace

Andy W

Hi Guys,

I have got hold of a lower front strut brace to fit to my mk5b cab, and was just wondering if there is and helpfull hints on the easiest way to fit it ? and which holes does it actually bolt to as a quick look from underneath and couldnt see any obivious mountain points, mind you wasnt looking to hard as it was cold and wet under the car lol

Cheers Andy

Hiya mate, i fitted mine a few weeks ago. It mounts to the subframe, the centre bolt is fitted directly below the steering rack, and the two outer ones fit through the holes just behind the front bolts for the lower arms.

It was a little easier for me because the car is engineless atm, but i undid the steering rack bolts allowing it to be lifted slightly, thus giving room for a bolt to be dropped through. The brace can then be bolted onto this.

Once that was in, the outer two could be fitted easily.

Admittedly mine is a mk6, but i presume it fits in exactly the same way.

If i get chance, ill try and stick a photo up for you :thumb:

Hiya mate, i fitted mine a few weeks ago. It mounts to the subframe, the centre bolt is fitted directly below the steering rack, and the two outer ones fit through the holes just behind the front bolts for the lower arms.

It was a little easier for me because the car is engineless atm, but i undid the steering rack bolts allowing it to be lifted slightly, thus giving room for a bolt to be dropped through. The brace can then be bolted onto this.

Once that was in, the outer two could be fitted easily.

Admittedly mine is a mk6, but i presume it fits in exactly the same way.

If i get chance, ill try and stick a photo up for you :thumb:

That would be great if you post up a pic

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay but finally managed to get underneath and get snapping...

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s640/ambulance42/SN850660_zps5b4c0ad1.jpg

This is where the centre bolt fits onto the subframe

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s640/ambulance42/SN850658_zps183ef419.jpg

and this is where the arms of the brace fit. They fit in the same place on both sides.

It doesn't show exactly where they mount but it should hopefully give you a decent indication.

You can also see it in situ here, if you peer through all of the wires and pipes.

Hope this helps