Crank pulley bolt

Mike-evans

Attempting to replace waterpump and timing belt kit on my silvertop on the weekend.

I understand that the crank pulley bolt can be a pain to remove.... Whats the best way to remove it? I dont have an airgun, impact gun etc....

It comes off easier than you think and when you tighten it up it really doesn't feel tight enough but torque settings are torque settings...anyway, I tried a few jammin devices (screwdrivers and such) until I put my little crowbar in between the teeth of the flywheel and jammed against the edge of the gearbox housing. It was the smallest one out of the three for sale in this set

Remember you have to take the starter off to get at the flywheel. It is easier if someone holds the jamming device (whatever you choose to use) because I was doing it on my own and the blooming thing kept falling out. There is a dedicated flywheel holding tool that bolts onto the gearbox using the starter mounting holes but I didn't have time to order one of them so don't know how effective they are.

I tried the foot on brakes and engine in gear method but there just seemed to be so much slack doing it that way that I couldn't accurately keep the timing settings.

If you have a breaker bar, the pulley bolt should come off no problem.

Thanks for the reply

The car wont be back on the road for a few weeks yet, so if Im unable to stop the crank turning while trying to undo the bolt, Ill order the fly wheel holding tool and come back to it..

5th gear with someone pressing the brakes has always worked for me (or a rattle gun )