Lumpy running

Mike-evans

Just want to get your thought on this:

Replaced timing kit yesterday on my 2.0l silvertop. Before I removed the old belt, I couldnt get the timing bar in both cams, one was slightly out....

The crank was ever so slightly off aswell, and needed turning a few degrees to get in the correct position..

When refitting the new belt, bar in both cams, second nitch lined up with sump mark on crank pulley, loosened cam sprockets, fitted belt and tightened cam sprockets in correct position.

2 fulls revolutions and no impact etc...

Finally started engine, and was lumpy...

Rechecked timing and everything is spot on, crank pulley second notch lines up, cam locking bar fits in both cams..

Replaced the plugs with some old ones I had in the shed, and idle and revs was immediately perfect. Old plugs that I removed were sooty, why?

Let car run for 15 minutes to bleed coolant system, heaters boiling etc...

Restarted and was slightly lumpy again. Started it again tonight and was slightly lumpy, why?

Ive got new plugs on order, so hopefully that will sort it?

A little consious as its my first timing belt replacement lol..

Any views on it?

Locking bar was used in cams, second notch on crank pulley used on crank...

Engine rotated a number of times by hand. Cams rechecked, bar fitted in both perfect. Crank rechecked, second notch lined up, crank pin was alsoe used and position was perfect, even used screwdriver in cylinder 1, again perfect....

Im hopeing its the plugs.... as it run perfect after I put some older plugs in it..

But run lumpy after restarting it??