Failed emissions

cherrybeard

I have attached said emissions fail and am after advice as to what to check for regarding fixing it!

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/clarke_decorating/Private%20album/9cdaf0e3-20ca-4864-9b7c-4f5fb58fd9b7_zpscddf9ba2.jpg

It appears that HC is fine

CO is fine at over 2500rpm but shooting up on idle

Lambda is reading too high

I have tried to google the emissions test but find it a bit confusing as to what the cause is for my particular results.

I have all genuine sensors (never been changed) apart from the lambda sensor which is a £20 universal one from ebay (3-4 yrs old).

No holes in the exhaust.

Wonky idle on initial startup (5-600 - 1000 rpm) which levels out after a few mins and stays steady at 900ish rpm

Plugs are less than a year old

Leads are no more than 2-3 years old

Original coil pack I think.

Any suggestions before I order a proper bosch/ngk lambda sensor?

cheers

clarke

Edited by cherrybeard

ok so here are some results. A fresh battery has just been put in today so I don't have any stored fault codes however I applied some KOEO tests, all came back as passed.

The KOER tests are as follows (I missed the screenshot for test1 but it was the same results as test3. I am not sure why test2 came up with slightly different results)

Test2

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/clarke_decorating/Private%20album/test2_zps7bc75919.jpg

Test3

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/clarke_decorating/Private%20album/test3_zpsa9bec8bb.jpg

Bear in mind that the car has not been able to be driven yet, just idling.

I also took a video (iphone) of the live dials while idling and pressing the accelerator a few times but I can't get it to play on the laptop!

p.s. on the KOER tests, I did press the pedal to the floor and the revs rose to about 3000rpm each time

Edited by cherrybeard

Well that confirms the high lambda reading on the emissions test is also being seen by the ECU. Can you look at your video and see what the ECU desired lambda was?

Don't know if this is of any help, but I had the same thing (high emissions and high lambda) on a fiesta that had a water damaged ECU. Passed the MOT test but only just. A replacement ECU fixed it.

on the KOER tests, I did press the pedal to the floor and the revs rose to about 3000rpm each time

You really have to stamp the pedal to the metal for it to register correctly.

Scottyboy, I didn't try cleaning it since I have read too many reports saying not to clean it or that if the deposits have built up and 'burnt on', no cleaning chemicals will work and I didn't want to bugger up a working sensor. If I don't get a replacement in time for my re-test then I will give it a go but i'll leave it for now. Is it coke that people use, carb cleaner or what?

Steve, I replaced the ecu recently and the car has run better with this one. The problem whereby I lose power intermittently still occurs but not as often. I do remember that when doing the tests using your device on the old ecu that it was coming up with the same fault code (172).

I managed to get the video working, 40secs long (downloaded quicktime)

I let it idle, then blipped the throttle a few times. This was on a warm engine.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/clarke_decorating/Private%20album/th_9sep13001_zpsbd4f25f7.jpg

Hi Steve, got home and a new lambda was waiting for me. Got it in and now the dials for lambda are moving and it appears that the ecu is hunting for a lambda of 1, snaking either side of it ever so slightly. It has removed all fault codes relating to lambda but I am still getting....

129 Insufficient MAP sensor or MAF change during dynamic response test

I take it my maf is buggered too? The dial for maf does move, and in fact almost correlates to throttle position. Oh well, hopefully I pass my emissions retest on wed morning and in the meantime start looking for a new maf.

p.s. probably just a quirk of the ecu but with the ignition ON and engine OFF and viewing live dials, once the throttle position goes past 40%, the engine load jumps from 0 to 80%. When you let off the throttle and it drops below 40%, the engine load drops to 0 too!

Hi Steve, got home and a new lambda was waiting for me. Got it in and now the dials for lambda are moving and it appears that the ecu is hunting for a lambda of 1, snaking either side of it ever so slightly. It has removed all fault codes relating to lambda but I am still getting....

129 Insufficient MAP sensor or MAF change during dynamic response test

I take it my maf is buggered too? The dial for maf does move, and in fact almost correlates to throttle position. Oh well, hopefully I pass my emissions retest on wed morning and in the meantime start looking for a new maf.

p.s. probably just a quirk of the ecu but with the ignition ON and engine OFF and viewing live dials, once the throttle position goes past 40%, the engine load jumps from 0 to 80%. When you let off the throttle and it drops below 40%, the engine load drops to 0 too!

The ECU knows what airflow to expect during the dynamic engine tests, and it appears that your MAF is out of calibration. I would try cleaning it. You'd be surprised how much crap gets stuck onto the hot wire. If you look down the tube you'll probably see the hot wire covered in black gunk. Spray carb cleaner or IPA onto the resistor elements until it looks silver, and try again.

Cheers for the advice Steve, passed this morning. Although we only did one quick emissions test (I think he had a backlog of mots to do) and the co levels were dropping from high and juuust managed to creep down low enough before the timer ran out! Car does feel much better though, slight miss on hard Ccelatation when warm and a juddery idle but at least lambda is working.

Clutch next. Why do I do it to myself.

Cheers for the advice Steve, passed this morning. Although we only did one quick emissions test (I think he had a backlog of mots to do) and the co levels were dropping from high and juuust managed to creep down low enough before the timer ran out! Car does feel much better though, slight miss on hard Ccelatation when warm and a juddery idle but at least lambda is working.

Clutch next. Why do I do it to myself.

Glad you got it sorted. The idle will probably even itself out after a few days driving, and the emissions will come down as well. The miss on acceleration will be down to the MAF.