Down for a day, posts lost, no explaination

sidrick

Sort it out, Stoo :roll:

Hmm, shouldn't really have been any (many) posts lost.

Basically. Our datacentre was doing some re-organisation of the racks, thus needed to move servers. However this one obtained an 'unreadable' primary HDD in the process :glare:

Making the most of the downtime, I re-imaged the server to a newer OS and started from scratch and then restored the backups that were made a few hours before the 'move' happened.

Is that good enough for you Sidrick? ;(

Damn servers... once they turn off, you can never be sure that they will be online again flawless after power on again... this is why you avoid to turn them off most of the times... but... sometimes you have to.Kudoz to stu for his effort :roll:

Been there, done that :censored: :censored:

Damn servers... once they turn off, you can never be sure that they will be online again flawless after power on again... this is why you avoid to turn them off most of the times... but... sometimes you have to.Kudoz to stu for his effort :roll:

Been there, done that :censored: :censored:

We regularly reboot for Kernel updates etc, I have a suspicion that something physical happened to the server, but getting anyone to admit that would be difficult.

We regularly reboot for Kernel updates etc, I have a suspicion that something physical happened to the server, but getting anyone to admit that would be difficult.

Reboot is something else. When HDD's spin down and has to spin up again, then problems arrise. When you reboot, in fact you don't power off HDD's.When you turn off a server is another case, and 95% of the breakdowns occur when the server powers on again. You may have a server running 24/7 flawlessly, and when you power off it, there is serious chance to not boot up... although servers work on hw raid, there are some times that can't boot... admitting that something went wrong is rather difficult, I agree with you...

• 2 weeks later...