Tyres - Whats legal.

Cyrix

One of my tyres has a slight cut in the sidewall, is this illegal? whats the worst that would happen? Points, fine or do you get some kind of tie to rectify it on the roadside? Guy i know got done for a bulge in the sidewall and they seem to be gonig mental with the spotchecks in my area

Id get it changed its not only the police that you have to worry about its also having a blowout if your going at some speed.

70mph blow out drags the steering wheel out of your hands, and over onto whatever lock the blown wheel is on, if you're lucky, you can then stop it before it digs in, once it digs in, it'll roll, almost without a doubt if its a front tyre that's blown. Cars roll approx 20-30 times before they stop if they go over at 70. If you don't believe me ask my friend who survived it. Just. Every single panel on the car bent, and that's where the damage started. The car, (at the time a current new model fiesta) saved his life.

Buy a new tyre.

...sorry feel quite strongly about tyres, nearly lost a damn good mate. Shook me up a bit and I wasn't in the car.

I've had the car in front of me at 80mph have a blowout, and I wouldn't wanna see it again from that close up! :O

Twas a newish Clio, didn't roll but I would have gone up his back end if I hadn't have been far enough back. The smoke makes things bloody confusing too when it happens X(

70mph blow out drags the steering wheel out of your hands, and over onto whatever lock the blown wheel is on, if you're lucky, you can then stop it before it digs in, once it digs in, it'll roll, almost without a doubt if its a front tyre that's blown. Cars roll approx 20-30 times before they stop if they go over at 70. If you don't believe me ask my friend who survived it. Just. Every single panel on the car bent, and that's where the damage started. The car, (at the time a current new model fiesta) saved his life.

Buy a new tyre.

...sorry feel quite strongly about tyres, nearly lost a damn good mate. Shook me up a bit and I wasn't in the car.

:jaw: bloody hell. sounds like he was lucky.

I've had two lefts go almost within 20 feet of each other, unavoidable glass, was on the brakes before i went through it, but it took them both out, by the time i'd stopped they were both sizzled, nothing left of the tyres, I was only doing about 65mph, and this was a new focus. Kept that one straight but at 80mph i'd probably have gone over, two wheels on my wagon aint funny!