Mc Daddy !!

Harvez

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as above, they are re-circulating (sp) d/v's :thumb:

I know they have standard BOV that re-circ. You havent answered my question. My question is its Re-circ for a reason. And im sure that every manufacturer that makes Turbo charged cars have a similiar re-circ system, is takening away that extra air a good thing? if so they would be dumping to atmosphere as standard.

I know they have standard BOV that re-circ. You havent answered my question. My question is its Re-circ for a reason. And im sure that every manufacturer that makes Turbo charged cars have a similiar re-circ system, is takening away that extra air a good thing? if so they would be dumping to atmosphere as standard.

The air has to go somwhere and it has two choices, through the engine or back through the turbo to come back out the filter. Well it cant go through the engine cos the throttle is shut so it tries to go back out the turbo (as we all know). This creates wonderful chatter as the air is diced by the turbine. But it aint very good for the bearings.

So it has to be vented in someway. Now if its vented to air (atmo) then you get a loud ptssssh that everyone recognises. But thats not very good noise on a quite motorway in your volvo or saab where everyblip of the throttle lets out a loud ptssssh. So they re-circ it somewhere. In most cases the air is vented back to just before the turbo in an aid to keep it spinning. But this measure of air is tiny and modern turbochargers dont run as much boost as they used to plus new technology (as in the JDM Sti twin-scroll unit) means that even reletivley large turbos (up to 1.4 bar) spin up very quickly when compared to older units

So after all that they simply fit a re-cir unit in order to keep the engine quiet

The air has to go somwhere and it has two choices, through the engine or back through the turbo to come back out the filter. Well it cant go through the engine cos the throttle is shut so it tries to go back out the turbo (as we all know). This creates wonderful chatter as the air is diced by the turbine. But it aint very good for the bearings.

So it has to be vented in someway. Now if its vented to air (atmo) then you get a loud ptssssh that everyone recognises. But thats not very good noise on a quite motorway in your volvo or saab where everyblip of the throttle lets out a loud ptssssh. So they re-circ it somewhere. In most cases the air is vented back to just before the turbo in an aid to keep it spinning. But this measure of air is tiny and modern turbochargers dont run as much boost as they used to plus new technology (as in the JDM Sti twin-scroll unit) means that even reletivley large turbos (up to 1.4 bar) spin up very quickly when compared to older units

So after all that they simply fit a re-cir unit in order to keep the engine quiet

spot on that :thumb:

its a shame the erst has a air metering head that cuts the chatter out :( ..ah well dump valve it is :)

Learning alot from this guy :thumb: