shite performance from my 1.8

steve_sport_scort

ok iv got my 1.8 gti, and its fairly good performance,

but was going to the beach today, and one of my mates has got a 1.4 focus, both 3 doors, i had just me in my car, he had 4 including himself in his car, and flat out from a standing start on the dual carrage way, i didnt really pull away, it was flat out and running the revs quite high, and doing decent gear changes,

and ok i was pulling away but not as much as id expect,

the cars done 57,000, and doesnt get driven far very often and certainly not very hard, and the clutch needs doing and might change the cambelt,

but it just seemed slow,

could it need a service, or could it just be the clutch,

i know its near impossbile to say,

but anyone got any ideas, cos the ford stats for 0-60's are, 1.4 foc 14.2 and esc 1.8 9.2

so 5 seconds difference?? ?( wasnt today :(

could just be that it need a good caining posible it could have a build up of carbon or there cud be someat quite seriouly wrong with her

i'v had it about 3 months now, and it only gets driven 2.5 miles to work on fri/sat/sun and the rest the week its a slow 14 mile drive into town, so it never gets above about 3,000 revs,

it feels better today just after abit of a hard drive, should i just keep it up and hope for the best,

cos im the kind of driver that doesnt drive the car hard all the time, im worried about killing it, but if it'll do it some good il take it for a cruise and thrash it abit.

cos im the kind of driver that doesnt drive the car hard all the time, im worried about killing it

I used to be the same, then I discovered that a zetec could be spanked as hard as you could dish it and it'd always survive. :cheers:

I always kept mine well serviced, so it wasn't living on old oil!!

LOL @ myself referring to the 1.6 in the past tense already! :roll:

cos im the kind of driver that doesnt drive the car hard all the time, im worried about killing it

I used to be the same, then I discovered that a zetec could be spanked as hard as you could dish it and it'd always survive. :cheers:

I always kept mine well serviced, so it wasn't living on old oil!!

LOL @ myself referring to the 1.6 in the past tense already! :roll:

so will driving it abit harder generally improve performance, and should i be using bp ultimate or something similar?

using better fuel will help

I asked these guys about fuel additives too, the general concensus is that the stp fuel system cleaner is a good one to go for. someone else also said that using optimax or some other higher octane fuel helps clean it out.

a good thrashing every so often will help too, just dont use first gear for reving it through the range as its too short, third will proboably be the best, make sure its warm and remember, the rev limiter is there for a reason, so bounce off it :thumb: (dont quote me on the limiter bit)

If your engine hardly ever goes above 3k revs, it means it will hardly ever get to running temeperature, so the chances are its fucked  :nutter: .

8o why will it be fooked, i thought that if anything although it'll be slower, it prolong its life span,

why fooked?, why why why??

scared now ;(

its probably full of coke if you don't go over 3000revs, zetecs are high revving engines, just get it to 5500 oncein a while and it'll clean itself, additives are a good idea, bottle of reddex in an almost empty tank won't hurt, the ecu adapts to the engines condition an usage as it is self learning, basically you can't treat it like a 1.3 then expect it to perform like its turbocharged... show it some higher revs and some engline/fuel cleaner!

Get the car nice and warm, disconnect the battery for over 30 minutes, reconect it. Then take it for a spin and take it to just below the rev limiter in all gears and so on. ie just drive it hard for a bit. The ECU will then think this is everyday sort of use and will apparently set its self up for harder driving.

If your ECU is used to sub 3k driving then this should make quite a difference. On most cars its not worth the hasle and will do sweet FA.

I cant really see how sub 3k driving can actually damage the car. But it will need a nice clean out. I would sugeat BP ultimate with a cleaning addative, dont put in more than they say to though and dont expect this to make a difference straight away. It needs a good few thousand miles to fully clean out your car.