shite performance from my 1.8

steve_sport_scort

Sometimes I would say giving a car some good use is far better than using it very little.

Example in case is my brothers GTi, he's had to replace both front springs in past 12 months as they've snapped, needed new brake lines, brakes seized on it, handbrake seized, all because it's a car he uses for maybe 20 / 30 miles a week whereas i do more than that in a day!

It's a few years back now, when my gran was still driving, she was complaining her car wasn't going well, my dad took it to the garage and they took it out "for a good thrashing" and it fixed it.

Get the car nice and warm, disconnect the battery for over 30 minutes, reconect it. Then take it for a spin and take it to just below the rev limiter in all gears and so on. ie just drive it hard for a bit. The ECU will then think this is everyday sort of use and will apparently set its self up for harder driving.

If your ECU is used to sub 3k driving then this should make quite a difference. On most cars its not worth the hasle and will do sweet FA.

I cant really see how sub 3k driving can actually damage the car. But it will need a nice clean out. I would sugeat BP ultimate with a cleaning addative, dont put in more than they say to though and dont expect this to make a difference straight away. It needs a good few thousand miles to fully clean out your car.

Can someone confirm if this works please, if so, im going to go and do it then rape the Shite out of my car :)

well i cant say it deffinatly works, but on my way into uni this morning i didnt change any higher then second, and was mainly in 30-40 zones, so it was between 3-4and 5,000 revs, and when i stopped at lights and things it seemed to idle alot smoother, and when pulling away it seemed abit more powerful and smoother,

so gonna take it for a long run on the way home leave it in 3 at 60, should clean it out nicely, i havent been accelorating hard, just leaving it in lower gears once the engines warmed up,

but so far SO good :D

well i cant say it deffinatly works, but on my way into uni this morning i didnt change any higher then second, and was mainly in 30-40 zones, so it was between 3-4and 5,000 revs, and when i stopped at lights and things it seemed to idle alot smoother, and when pulling away it seemed abit more powerful and smoother,

so gonna take it for a long run on the way home leave it in 3 at 60, should clean it out nicely, i havent been accelorating hard, just leaving it in lower gears once the engines warmed up,

3rd at 60mph, lmao. That's not cleaning it. DAILY I have my car at 85 in 3rd. 1.6 16v, never had a problem idles/runs/pulls like new.

3rd at 60mph, lmao. That's not cleaning it. DAILY I have my car at 85 in 3rd. 1.6 16v, never had a problem idles/runs/pulls like new.

Still short of the mark............

Redline it for 5-seconds+ at a time, that's rapage :roll: :roll: :roll:

Redlining down a hill in 1st and 2nd is good too, just remember to change gear! :thumb: :roll:

Steve - agree with ya about smoother idling once it's been cained :cheers: I spanked mine along the motorway in 4th gear for a couple of minutes once and it sorted the ICV problem, for a few weeks. :roll:

Edited by Ex-Finesse

put it this way, my 1.8SI Decat, k&n, magfnex exaust and a power boot valve 105ps version, beats the 1.8si's with induction kit smaller wheels and less people in :D. as i raced me mate and his car is in good considtion too.

And mine is just slightly slower than the 115ps superchipped with a pipercross induction kit, powerflow exaust and powerboost value.

And i give it some stick say 5,800-5,900RPM when racing overwise i just goto 4,000 as its its peak sound on the exaust :D:D:D.

So basicly just give your car some serious stick mate! for a week then drive it around 3.5-4K RPMS and you should be fine mate.