LED's Inside front door to illuminate chrome handles

stevemrst

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take door panel off

Use a Stanley knife and trim done the side of the sound proofing where the door lock is doing it that way means you can put it back on with out damaging it and use the black adhesive again

I used 3mm led’s with wires attached and a resistor if you haven’t a clue about resistors use 12v 3mm led’s don’t need a resistor

Disconnect the door lock wiring plug get the Haynes out and find which wire is the live and which is the negative don’t cut the wires just trim back the shielding connect the wires I put a solder blob on just to make a good connection tape up and secure the wires.

Drill a 3mm hole in door cup push led in I just taped it to the back of the cup then put all back together.

Shut the doors lock the car and the led’s go off open the car and they light up job done.

I did mine with a mate did his at the same time he’s an electrician always comes in useful if got one hanging around its easy to do so can be done with out a spark’e hope that helps. I didn’t disconnect the battery but you should or take the fuse out problem with the fuse though for the central locking the fuse is on top of the fuse box so couldn’t be arsed.

If you lock the door at night when you start the journey and they go out, when you have finished and want to get out the car how do you see where they are then?

Why would you lock the car when you start the journey? Like I said if you wire them up to the central locking they stay on when you unlock the car so when you go to get out at night you can see the handles then when you lock then car they go off. :innocent:

Well if you were driving through a crappy area in a nice car I would lock the door to save the guys life who tries to pull me out of it. Also the girlfriend likes to lock the doors. It makes her feel safe! She forgets she's in the car with me and the danger is on the inside....muhahaha. Good idea though, I see where your coming from now. Is it ok to connect to a signal wire for the central locking then? Perhaps stu could answer that one.

Here should appear a picture of one of my door handles. Taken during the day so you don't get the full effect.

LED placed behind the door pull so it can't be seen directly, but provides a subtle glow in the recess.

http://uk.geocities.com/stephen.unwin@btopenworld.com/doorhand.jpg

View from above showing positioning of LED.

In answer to previous posts, you could take a supply from both wires of the central locking if you put a diode on each first.

This does mean that they would be on ALL the time, even when left. Do you really want to draw attention when you're not there?

http://uk.geocities.com/stephen.unwin@btopenworld.com/doorhand2.jpg

Here should appear a picture of one of my door handles. Taken during the day so you don't get the full effect.

LED placed behind the door pull so it can't be seen directly, but provides a subtle glow in the recess.

http://uk.geocities.com/stephen.unwin@btopenworld.com/doorhand.jpg

View from above showing positioning of LED.

In answer to previous posts, you could take a supply from both wires of the central locking if you put a diode on each first.

This does mean that they would be on ALL the time, even when left. Do you really want to draw attention when you're not there?

http://uk.geocities.com/stephen.unwin@btopenworld.com/doorhand2.jpg

Well when your not there you lock the car so they then go off so doesn’t draw any attention I personally found it a lot easier just use the central locking wires and used a resistor took 5 minutes to do a door lot less hazel running wires around the car and they look good and the bonus is don’t need the lights for the car on to get them to come on