RAF insurance?

LiamGTR

What kind of insurance would best suit me if I was to be in the RAF bearing in mind:

• After the 1st 6 months I will start to only get weekend off
  • Sometimes I won't even get weekends
  • Sometimes I won't even be in the country for months on end
  • The car will be kept at RAF bases around the UK depending on where I am

Edited by LiamGTR

What kind of insurance would best suit me if I was to be in the RAF bearing in mind:

• After the 1st 6 months I will start to only get weekend off
  • Sometimes I won't even get weekends
  • Sometimes I won't even be in the country for months on end
  • The car will be kept at RAF bases around the UK depending on where I am

Difficult one really as most people in your position have to take an annual policy.

Coming from a serving member heres my 2p

a)How much time u spend out of the country is entirely down to where u get posted, u could be in a very sedentary post where u only work 9-5 monday to friday for ur entire career, or u could be posted to a position where u spend 6 months a year in the middle east (being a techie on GR4s for instance)

b)u may therefore be able to drive ur car just as much as a civilian,especially if/when ur married and dont live on the base but in the neighbouring village

c)there are companies who give the RAF discounts,these companies are NAAFI and others (others are listed in the MOD discount directory 2008) [note u also get discounts from companies such as the RAC,and blackcircles.com,and u get a HALFORDS trade card (which make halfords pro tools dirt cheap)]

d)premiums are normally quite low due to camps being pretty much zero crime areas and guarded by armed personnel.

e)im currently in the falklands and my insurance is still running on my mexico despite the fact its garaged and not gonna come to any harm... 20 quid a month to build up 4 months risk free NCB.

it really is the luck of the draw how much u'll get to drive it though,what trade u going in as?

• 1 month later...