Timing belt change....

98gt

Going to get the scort ready for it's NCT(our MOT equivalent) next weekend. Have to replace driver side track rod end and anti-roll bar link, and I'll give it a service. I was thinking about changing the timing belt while I was at it.

I was wondering if anyone knows the recommended mileage that the timing belt needs to be changed on a 1.6 Zetec, mine's at 55,000 miles at the moment.........

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i stand corrected then  :P

was i right about the 5 year bit though? either way mine is getting done this year.

there's no way i'd leave it 5 years :O

rubber can perish with age as well as use :O

20000 or 2 years imo to be extra safe ;)

well i've only had the car a few months so really thats why it's not been done. i'm still trying to decide if i shluld attempt to do it myself or let my mate at ford do it, i just really don't know if i fancy working around the a/c pipe that runs right around it.

ford assure me if my belt breaks within 80k and i have dealer histoy they will pay all repair costs parts labour & vat cos i was as sceptial as some as you guys to be safe i,d get guidance from your local dealer cost me £180 for ford to change it if u aint got history i,d go 50k or 3 years. :D

Audi dealers changed it on my dads V6 convertible and it snapped a couple of weeks later so you never know when it might go if you feel it needs changing better to spend a little money and be safe .

my dad was well lucky nothing coming the other way belt snapped engine siezed car turned into a merry go round 8o 8o 8o 8o