3.5mm jack to usb

mrmetallica

is it possible to make an adapter to run a usb stick through a jack plug. for sound i mean

I'm not 100% sure what you mean so I'l guess...

You've got a USB pen (not an MP3 player)

You want to play audio media from that pen...

You'd need an MP3 player of some description with a USB Mass Storage compatible USB port and a headphone jack for audio output... I'd guess they are out there (Loads in HiFi format) but would probably be more expensive than a typical than a USB Pen style MP3 player... Which would have a 3.5mm jack already for headphones/audio out

---------------------------------------------------------------

Or are you thinking of an adaptor so that you can run USB signals via a 3.5mm jack then convert back to USB? That would only really be possible via a 4 pin 3.5mm jack (used for headsets etc) as a standard 3.5mm jack has 3 pins. (1x- 2x+ for stereo signals) and you would need 4 for USB... (2x power 2x data) as USB pens are typically powered of the USB port... so you couldn't sacrifice the power output...

Or are you thinking of an adaptor so that you can run USB signals via a 3.5mm jack then convert back to USB? That would only really be possible via a 4 pin 3.5mm jack (used for headsets etc) as a standard 3.5mm jack has 3 pins. (1x- 2x+ for stereo signals) and you would need 4 for USB... (2x power 2x data) as USB pens are typically powered of the USB port... so you couldn't sacrifice the power output...

i could work the power some how.

i was going to buy a pioneer head unit with hard drive in for me car. fords recon they dont do the adapter for my car to fit the double din unit.so i was trying to think of a way i could fit a hdd to the head unit i have now.

i could work the power some how.

i was going to buy a pioneer head unit with hard drive in for me car. fords recon they dont do the adapter for my car to fit the double din unit.so i was trying to think of a way i could fit a hdd to the head unit i have now.

That would depend on what headunit you have now... if the headunit supports USB Mass Storage then yes... HDD (plus a 12v 0.5amp power source) would be fine anyway.

If not and you only have an audio input... You'd have to find a device which would read USB Mass Storage devices and play MP3s outputted via a 3.5mm jack then converted to meet the audio input. (usually RCA)

And forget Ford for audio adaptors... eBay is your friend... Ford->whatever you want leads, adaptors and facias are availible on there... So the Pioneer unit maybe still an easy possibility! :thumb: