insurance while towing

just been asked about it if a car is being towed does the car being towed have to be insured

my personal opinion is yes unless its on a dolly of some sort

anyone any ideas

I called the police enquiry line and asked the exact question (also if the person in the rear car had to have a driving licence) And they said they really didnt know, they gave me there number and said it should be ok to do but if i get pulled then to give them his number and explaine what he had said,....

if any of the vehicles wheels touch the floor then yes it does technically need insurance

reminds me of something from the other week, a friend of my mums has a guy in her avenue who had an old jag [arked on the road, that had no MOT, tax or insurance the DVLA lot came round to try and clamp it but couldnt get one on for some reason or other, off they go leaving him a note on the screen to which he puts the vehicle on to an old knackered trailer and has been there ever since! nothing can be done over it as none of the wheels are on the ground so is in effect a trailer in itself! had to admire the quick thinking at least! :pancake:

If your towing it on a rope or a bar then the vehicle will need to be insured / taxed and moted (dayinsure.com if you just need the insurance bit) and the person in tow will need a license

If its on a dolly or spec lift then the car becomes a trailer, there is nobody steering the towed vehicle and a trailer board is fitted the the back of the towed car