BIOS

Danny1107

sure can. Ctrl+F1 unlocks advanced settings on *some* motherboards, though mainly on Gigabyte boards. ive got mine unlocked, but tbh unless youre going to either overclock your pc or change security settings its probably not worth it. Edited by eetaylog

sure can. Ctrl+F1 unlocks advanced settings on *some* motherboards, though mainly on Gigabyte boards. ive got mine unlocked, but tbh unless youre going to either overclock your pc or change security settings its probably not worth it.

yes i'm wanting to overclock it :) will give ctrl+f1 a try

is there anyway to "unlock" the bios settings? afew things I can change but other things I cant (I'm wanting to change afew voltages)

thanks for any help :)

Depends on the bios and the hardware supplier Danny. Most of the big manufacturers, ie Intel, Dell, IBM. ASUS, Sony, Tosh, etc - all use a customised version of a standard bios code set. If yours was built using an off-the shelf motherboard and other bits you are in luck, and what you need to do is get to the lastest version of the bios from the motherboard manufacturer.

If you run out of leads go here: http://biosagentplus.com/?utm_source=esupp...r+products+link

Phoenix is responsible for most of the OEM bios code we use. Sadly the big manufacturers then cripple it to prevent us from overclocking, messing with operating temps and bus speeds. They may charge you about $50-60 for a bios update, but I have used their original bios to free up a machine, upgrade the cpu and keep it going for another 4 years - no messing.

My great worry is that if you intend to mess with CPU line voltages - and saw a need to write to a car forum - you may need to think carefully, and twice, before you take on a project like this.

Good luck though.

is there anyway to "unlock" the bios settings? afew things I can change but other things I cant (I'm wanting to change afew voltages)

Depends on the bios and the hardware supplier Danny. Most of the big manufacturers, ie Intel, Dell, IBM. ASUS, Sony, Tosh, etc - all use a customised version of a standard bios code set. If yours was built using an off-the shelf motherboard and other bits you are in luck, and what you need to do is get to the lastest version of the bios from the motherboard manufacturer.

If you run out of leads go here: http://biosagentplus.com/?utm_source=esupp...r+products+link

Phoenix is responsible for most of the OEM bios code we use. Sadly the big manufacturers then cripple it to prevent us from overclocking, messing with operating temps and bus speeds. They may charge you about $50-60 for a bios update, but I have used their original bios to free up a machine, upgrade the cpu and keep it going for another 4 years - no messing.

My great worry is that if you intend to mess with CPU line voltages - and saw a need to write to a car forum - you may need to think carefully, and twice, before you take on a project like this.

Good luck though.

i've read that the processor i have (intel E2160) is safe for 1.75v (i dont intend of raising it this much) just want to have a play about see what speeds i can get

but obviously the bios settings are locked so i need a way to unlock it, will try doing a bios update

Good luck though.

i've read that the processor i have (intel E2160) is safe for 1.75v (i dont intend of raising it this much) just want to have a play about see what speeds i can get

but obviously the bios settings are locked so i need a way to unlock it, will try doing a bios update

you can take them chips up to 3ghz+ with just simple tweaks

voltage is needed after as far as a iknow :)

got any info on these simple tweaks? :P

all depends on your motherboard, alot of people just change the front side bus, and this bumps it up to around 2.8ghz alot more people have had them running at 3.2ghz on the standard intel cooler! and standard volts!

many things youd need to check firstly, your load temps at standard speeds, make sure they are suitable to accomodate an overclock, so id get something like Everest, and put the cpu under stress tests, and monitor the temps at stock speeds. if they are a lil high, then id recommend reseating the Heatsink with some other Thermal Compound, to aid the cooling, or even buy another cooler, as the standard intel ones arnt the best for overclocked chips.

stock speed is 1.8ghz if im correct, you can bump this up to around 2.8ghz / 3.0ghz on stock volts! voltage tweaks are required after this.

if you have no clue about overclocking etc, id seriously advise you to look this up alot! Overclockers forum is the place to check, loads of sticky threads in there, and a thread solely on the E2160 chip!

all depends on your motherboard, alot of people just change the front side bus, and this bumps it up to around 2.8ghz alot more people have had them running at 3.2ghz on the standard intel cooler! and standard volts!

many things youd need to check firstly, your load temps at standard speeds, make sure they are suitable to accomodate an overclock, so id get something like Everest, and put the cpu under stress tests, and monitor the temps at stock speeds. if they are a lil high, then id recommend reseating the Heatsink with some other Thermal Compound, to aid the cooling, or even buy another cooler, as the standard intel ones arnt the best for overclocked chips.

stock speed is 1.8ghz if im correct, you can bump this up to around 2.8ghz / 3.0ghz on stock volts! voltage tweaks are required after this.

if you have no clue about overclocking etc, id seriously advise you to look this up alot! Overclockers forum is the place to check, loads of sticky threads in there, and a thread solely on the E2160 chip!

core temps are around 15c idle/not doing much maximum iv'e seen is 23c and thats when i've got loads of programes running, the motherboard is an acer F672CR i'll have a look ath the overclockers forum :)

i was reading the wrong part on speedfan :nutter: core temps average around 20c and around 28-30 while loading multiple programes, just checked and the highest i got was 30c now at 24c with 5 programes open

core temps are around 15c idle/not doing much maximum iv'e seen is 23c and thats when i've got loads of programes running, the motherboard is an acer F672CR i'll have a look ath the overclockers forum :)

i was reading the wrong part on speedfan :nutter: core temps average around 20c and around 28-30 while loading multiple programes, just checked and the highest i got was 30c now at 24c with 5 programes open

they seem good temps, its all down to if your motherboard is up to it, so id take alook into the bios alot more, and the forums.

and as for testing, get everest, a stress testing tool simply for the cpu mate, much better than loading up games etc :)