Urgent Dual Booting help needed

cosmicnutter_1993

right, my laptop hard drive has 2 partitions, one blank, and i know its blank, and one with my vista os. i thought bugger it, ill put on xp aswell. whacked in the xp disc, installed onto blank partition, installed fine. now i can boot xp, and thats it. i have no option to boot vista, and i need vista, urgently. i can view the vista partition, and its all there, so why is there no option to boot it? quick response highly appreciated. cheers

you have to install the earliar operating system first to dual boot, i.e xp then vista second or xp then 7 second

I'm sure you get the picture. the reason is whenever an operating system is installed it searches for previous versions, xp was made before vista so the setup doesnt recognise vista as an operating system to make a boot option for

you have to install the earliar operating system first to dual boot, i.e xp then vista second or xp then 7 second

I'm sure you get the picture. the reason is whenever an operating system is installed it searches for previous versions, xp was made before vista so the setup doesnt recognise vista as an operating system to make a boot option for

right i understand that, but that doesnt really help me boot vista tbh, i need it like, asap as im fucked without it. how do i make vista bootable?

Follow the step by step instructions found here -> Dual Booting Vista and XP (Vista first)

And btw, that 'blank' partition was probably your recovery partition. But too late to worry about that now, eh?

thanks, and the blank partition was a blank partition, i put a new 160 gb hard drive in it, installed xp, partitioned the hard drive in two whilst installing, then upgraded xp to vista, leaving the other half of the hard drive blank