Mk V RS2000 Timing Chain

dai

Has anyone on here ever had a timing chain snap on an RS2000? My girlfriends car broke one last week, took head off it earlier, its bent 2 exhaust, 4 inlet valves that I can see. The chain hadn't been rattling, no wear on it apart from the break. Only thing I can see wrong is the idler gear has virtually no teeth left on it, could the chain have fallen off cos of this and hence jammed and snapped? The cams etc all turn freely.

D :thumb: ai :thumb:

could be worth having a word with warranty at ford about that. when i was working for vauxhall we had one of the old huge senators with the lovely 3.0 straight six engine, that snapped a timing chain and even though it was like 8 years old and had done 90 odd thousand miles vauxhall still paid up 30% of the repairs for it cos it shouldn't have snapped ;(

weather ford will take the same view on it i dunno but it's gotta be worth asking ?(

Recently the head gasket went on mine and ive decided to replace the chain. 70,000 Miles mine has done and there was no wear on the chain or any signs of wear though ive decided to change it. Some people say they should last the life of the car others say 80,000. Any RS2000 around 70,000 I would advise to change as its a pain in the a*se job but if it snaps it can cause a lot of problems. Go on to www.RS2000-16v.com and the guys on there are clued up and we be able to answer any questions you have.

Cheers

Crumpy

I've had all the parts now, I'll be rebuilding it later today. Total damage was 2 bent inlet valves, 4 bent exhaust valves and 2 smashed valve guides. Its cost me a total of £280 to repair, majority of that is buying all new bits from the local Ford dealer. I knew I should have changed the chain when she bought the car last christmas!

Most likely cause that I can see for it to fail was the plastic wheel on the tensioner, the teeth had all gone on that, I think the chain probably fell off and locked the engine up. Everything else looks fine.

Dai

p.s. Is it possible to put pics on here?