Bloody Browsers

danposs86

Having a strange problem with my laptop at the moment.

I can be happily browsing the internet one minute (using Firefox) and suddenly when clicking on links nothing happens, if I middle click a bookmark so that it opens in a new tab it looks like it starts loading for a second, but then says done in the bottom left but only shows a blank page and says 'Untitled' in the tab, even though the correct URL is in the address bar.

When this happens, I look at IE but that does similar showing that it can not connect. However, and heres the weird part, I am still connected to the net as if I have any downloads going, or am watching something on iPlayer, it continues downloading/playing. Even if i took the network cable out of my laptop and put it in my xbox I can connect to Live, so its something wrong with my laptop.

There is no fixed time that it does this from firing up my laptop, will just randomly stop working. Sometimes if I reset, it works straight away when I am back logged on, sometimes it doesnt.

Really want this sorted as its doing my head in.

Any ideas?

Off the top of my head some type of virus/trojan/adware?

What antivirus are you using Dan?

I have now switched to using IE8 & Microsoft security essentials on all machines here at home and at work.

If using Avast do a full scheduled scan & see what it throws up?