ANYONE HAVING COLD WEATHER BATTERY ISSUES?

shawdreamer

i have seen a few vauxhalls with the jacket that covers the sides of the battery and a few mondeo's. there are definately a few cars out there that have them. well worth a trip to a breakers or 2 but i imagine that if the battery is losing its kick then the cold weather has got to it. just because it's almost new does'nt make it a cracker, cold weather always seems to show the good batterys from the crap

just to give you an idea of the weather here and my battery has been sound.

I parked my car up on sunday afternoon and left it till today, we had that whiteout on Monday whitch crippled Scotland! We had -13degrese on Monday night and -15ish last night with the temp staying around -5 during the day tith the sun out. Went down to dig the car out and she started first time as strong as you like, I was really surprised there was as much power! so far tonight we are at -11. hope that helps mate

just to give you an idea of the weather here and my battery has been sound.

I parked my car up on sunday afternoon and left it till today, we had that whiteout on Monday whitch crippled Scotland! We had -13degrese on Monday night and -15ish last night with the temp staying around -5 during the day tith the sun out. Went down to dig the car out and she started first time as strong as you like, I was really surprised there was as much power! so far tonight we are at -11. hope that helps mate

dig it out?

if you mean it was covered by snow then tbf snow can work almost as good as any insulator, I know it sounds odd but enough snow covering an object will stop the colder ambeint air temprature that often follows snowfall further cooling the object covered, it also reduces the amount of cold air circulation around the object thus reducing constant temprature drop even more.

While covered in snow my slut started first time every time even after 4-5 days of being untouched and not started aslong as the snow still covered it, however now the snowfall has stopped and the car has been cleared of snow the even lower tempratures following now have direct access to the battery.....which is when the problem started.

I have every confidence that insulating the battery against direct frosted air temps or introducing a constant trickle flow charge to encourage fluid movement inside the battery (or both methods) will solve the issue.

I need only now source a jacket and wait for my constant flow (barring night obviously) 12v solar panel to be delivered and Ill build it into the rear shelf for maximum light capture...... plus in summer it cant hurt to have a little more juice to play round with when I add additional electrics.