Subwoofer problem...

Ringo_Mountbatten

I've just added a subwoofer to my sound system, but for some reason when i turn it up to a reasonably loud volume it causes my amp to power off for a couple of seconds! The amp powers up 2 6x9s and the sub itself, it worked fine with just the 6x9s but since i installed the sub its been cutting out when i turn it right up! any ideas?

is the power cable to the amp big enough? i had this problem before and that was the cause of mine

Well, i thought it might be that but my dad's an electrician and he's adamant it's not. But it's the only thing i can think of. Also, it seems to be ok when the engine is off, but when i'm driving around that's when it happens...which leads me to believe it can't get enough power.

The amp itself is 2x460w/4x130w so i'm bridging 2 channels to get 460w for the amp and the 6x9s have 130w each...so they're definitely getting enough power from the amp.

yeh, the amp switched itself off as i#t couldnt get enough power, i turned it down n it came back on again. aint had any probs now ive got a bigger power lead

Cheers dude. It turns out that wasn't the problem in my case though, i'd completely bodged the wiring up inside the box and it was shorting out :nutter: