Spraying original paint

Jebiah

Been tackling mismatched pink/red paint on my car for a while now and im starting to think that paint would just be the best option, im thinking of rubbing down the pink areas untill the clear coat is gone but the basecoat still remains, then laying 3 - 4 coats of new base coat followed by 4 coats of laquer, then the usual 24 hour curing time flat back/polish. what do you reckon? i did think of repriming but it seems pointless when there will be a nice prime layer for me anyway and i wont be breaking through to the original metal, im not looking for a showroom finish i just what the car to colour match!

thought please ...

I have seen it before, ive been cutting and polishing it forever and cant seem to get through the clearcoat to bring back the colour, it literally just gets shinier :P i was going to invest in a rotary polisher but i dont want to spend the money they cost really i'd rather just spray it. what products did you use? ive use T cut, Meguiars ultimate cutting compound, super resin polish, megs #16 wax with a sonus SFX polishing pad but no luck, managed to get the mirrors and spoiler back up to scratch but thats because they arent laquered :(

Is it radient red? Shouldnt need laquer if it is.

I used a cheap cutting compound (tetrosyl rubbing compound paste in a flat tin) but it was a lot of work before the red came through.

Try a small area and mask it off, that way you can see the progress.

I cut it for ages the used super resin to polish it, again hard slog but worth it.

When you have the colour back some nice good layers of wax to keepit sealed and protect.

Yes it is radiant red. I also have some of halfords rubbing compound. how long is ages to use the rubbing compound? and did you do it by hand? i just havnt had any real progress with it, i can see the paint used to be a beautiful red where i took the bump strips off the side

All by hand, few hours on the bonnet alone.

Okay mate ill def give it a go before i start spraying, did you just keep applying more and more compound as it was rubbing in? im gonna be like popeye after this! hope this works :(

Kept applying and rubbing, rubbing for a while then removing the residue before doing more rubbing and applying and checking against the untouched faded paint.

Use masking tape to compare and even take pics so you can see your not wasting your time and gives you more moral.

Edited by PeeWee

The cloth your using To compound it with, is the residue on the cloth red or White meaning.

If it's red then it's been done in a 2k solid colour, these fade terribly and need to be regularly polished, it's fades as the colour has been oxsisdised by the sun/heat affecting the pigmentation in the paint.

If it's White then this is clear over base, this shouldnt really fade as the colour is under the laquer.

Try something like autoglym paint renovater, this has a bit more cut to it and will help bring it up quicker, then apply autoglym super resin polish as this has mild abrasives in it and fillers to so this will help

Bring shine back even more, doin this by hand will take along time, but if you mange to get it all nice and shiney after alot of hard work, then it may be worth applying a paint sealent followed by a decent carnuba wax.

Spraying it you don't need to flat it down to the basecoat, what you will need to do is wet flat it with p800 then p1000, areas that are a little bit harder to wet flat use a grey scotchbrite, another tip when wet flatting the bucket of water add some fairy liquid this will act as a detergent as well, all you need to do is make sure these areas are Matt, because any where that is left shiney paint will not bond/stick to it and only end up flaking off eventually, if you are gona go to the trouble of spraying and need to know anything please just ask mate I'm a car sprayer by trade.

Or you need any help about compounds, polishes, what to use how to use again just mate :-))))

When compounding the pad remains white, it will only go red from the spoiler as it appears the only part without a clear coat, really thinking that spraying will be my best bet gonna see how i feel, thanks for the advice on flatting i didnt know if paint would adhere to flatted laquer or if it had to be basecoat. not looking for a perfect finish just fed up of it being pink :P

I would not attempt to flat down to the basecoat, if it has been lacquer, there is the danger of burning through the lacquer in places and if you do, it will look far worse than it does now and polishing or cutting will never rectify it.

For it to fade like you say and as Andy has already said, its been painted in a 2k solid colour, which if it is a slight miss matched shade, you will never match the to other panels no matter how much you polish or which polish used.

Try the compound polish test, which myself and now, also Andy has suggested?

If red paint residue on the cloth, its not been lacquered.

If cloth clear with no colour and only polish residue, its been lacquered.

Yes, you may well obtain a lustrous shine with a cutting/rubbing compound/polish but it will still be a miss match.

Best option, other than repainting and of which I've said previously, try the Red Colour Magic or a similar product, otherwise only other option, is to repaint.

As for paint adhering to flatted lacquer, that all depends how the original clear coat was applied.

If the lacquer (clear coat) was applied while basecoat was touch dry but tacky, after flash drying, anything applied on top will more than likely adhere well.

However, if the basecoat has been allowed to dry and harden, prior to applying lacquer, its hit and miss whether anything applied on top will last.

If considering a respray, where there is lacquer, flat back to basecoat, you'll know when you reach basecoat, as the residue will change colour, eventually and within a few minutes and with practice, you'll be able to tell.

Try not burn through the basecoat, although not as important as you'll painting over, however, try not to, otherwise you'll end up with fried egg type blemishes under the paint and that is as just as annoying as a miss match or pinkish red bodywork.