rubbing down wheels

gazzergti

depending on what sort of finish your chasing (a matt finish requiring less than a gloss)

60-100 grit to get the bulk crap off and give you a surface that you wont have issues with if there's need of any form of repair work to be done before painting.

If there were repairs requiring filler then flatten it all with the 60-100 grit again.

to prep for different finishes

Matt - the easiest to prep for, 400grit wet'n'dry should suffice

Gloss/Metallic/Pearlescent - you'll want to treat the surface much as you would to prep a body panel, generally flatten with progressive finer wet'n'dry grit paper 400-800-1200, and be sure its all clean before even a sniff of colour go's near it.

Powder coating - the finish is similar to "Matt" (though notably tougher) the process of coating (which obviously you cant do yourself) will pick up every scratch, chip or imperfection on the surface and be a utter waste of cash, though the prep work isn't as involved as the above process it does require time and effort, wet'n'dry grit 600-1000.

enjoy

ps: Forgot to mention........ bathroom should be fine, just have a rubber matt in the bath to prevent any chips to the bath itself.

barring that none of the paint dust or residual brake dust that might be on the alloys shouldnt do any harm.

Edited by shawdreamer

Thanks for the help I have no garden so have to do it all in doors should I go to a d I y store for the paper or should I go a motor factors

halfords, motorworld/kroozin, general diy stores (B&Q etc) if you want a good selection of wet'n'dry paper