Suspension Arm Bush

Jones

Just to back up what others have said about changing the whole arm and not a bush, I needed to replace the ball joint on the van and bought one separately. It came with new bolts to fix to the lower arm but the original lower arms had the ball joints pressed/welded on. After spending at least an hour or two grinding off the old ball joint, I was left with virtually no metal to hold the new ball joint in safely, in my opinion anyway. I ended up buying a whole new arm for piece of mind which I should have done in the first place. No mucking about.

With regards to this:

"OSF rear lower suspension arm bush"

The other bushes are probably nearing the end of their life too so just get new arms with bushes already in place. Don't forgot the torque tightening sequence. I don't know if many people bother but i'm a bit anal in following instructions to the letter when it comes to bolts holding my car together.

• 5 weeks later...
Just to back up what others have said about changing the whole arm and not a bush, I needed to replace the ball joint on the van and bought one separately. It came with new bolts to fix to the lower arm but the original lower arms had the ball joints pressed/welded on. After spending at least an hour or two grinding off the old ball joint, I was left with virtually no metal to hold the new ball joint in safely, in my opinion anyway. I ended up buying a whole new arm for piece of mind which I should have done in the first place. No mucking about.

With regards to this:

The other bushes are probably nearing the end of their life too so just get new arms with bushes already in place. Don't forgot the torque tightening sequence. I don't know if many people bother but i'm a bit anal in following instructions to the letter when it comes to bolts holding my car together.

the pin that rivits the ball joint in is stuck fast to the ball joint and the only way to remove it is to drill it out .you cant grind the top off and bash it out :thumb:

With regards to this:

the pin that rivits the ball joint in is stuck fast to the ball joint and the only way to remove it is to drill it out .you cant grind the top off and bash it out :thumb:

Cheers, wish I knew that before. The ball joint slips in between two bits of metal on the wishbone before you can secure it (bolts, rivet pins or otherwise) so I assumed that it was a separate item to the ball joint!