TD engine finally in.... Knocking and smoking.

VanMan_Jas

To follow up on this...

I bought a proper set of timing tools, removed the belts and started the timing from scratch.

I have realised the error of my ways the first time around, I think I made the following mistakes:

I didnt use a specific timing pin (I used a drill bit)

The web of the crank may not have beenin contact with the timing pin when the belt was fitted. eg. it may have slipped.

Anyways... I retimed the engine and fuel pump, follow haynes and auto data instructions.

The van now starts and the knocking has gone. These engines arent the quietest, but it sounds a lot better.

Ok 2 problems left.....

1. Battery light stays illuminated on dash board. Aux belt is fitted and tensioned, connections are clean and tight, but the battery is not charging.

I guess the alternator could be knackered? It has been sat in my garage for 5 years?

2. Although fitted centrally on the pulleys, the timing belt is moving over towards the inner engine cover (by the engine block) and rubbing.

The only thing I can think that would cause this is one of the pulleys / tensioners is knackered?

Any ideas before I strip the gear to check the tensioners / pulleys?

Im beginning to think this van will never make it back on the road. lol

Jas

To follow up on this, I finally got round to sorting the van out.

I think its 6 years this month since its been off the road! lol.

Still got the battery light on, need to investigate that further.

More importantly, I bought a new timing belt / pulley kit, stripped the engine down (again) and refitted, re timed everything.

Just fired her u for the first time tonight!!! She runs!!! Hahahah!! Im over the moon!

:D :D :D

Final problem is the battery light.

There is only 12.4 volts showing when the van is running. Alternator has been replaced with a brand new one.

I guess it can either be the battery? or something to do with the small wire from alternator?

Any ideas?

Might get the bad boy in for MOT shortly!!!

Jas

1. Battery light stays illuminated on dash board. Aux belt is fitted and tensioned, connections are clean and tight, but the battery is not charging.

I guess the alternator could be knackered? It has been sat in my garage for 5 years?

2. Although fitted centrally on the pulleys, the timing belt is moving over towards the inner engine cover (by the engine b

Final problem is the battery light.

There is only 12.4 volts showing when the van is running. Alternator has been replaced with a brand new one.

I guess it can either be the battery? or something to do with the small wire from alternator?

Any ideas?

Might get the bad boy in for MOT shortly!!!

Jas

check for 12v supply to the small wire on the alternator when ignition is switched to the second position,if not put a wire from positive side of battery to it and then check for charging also check that the large red lead is a good contact at the battery and alternator :thumb:

check for 12v supply to the small wire on the alternator when ignition is switched to the second position,if not put a wire from positive side of battery to it and then check for charging also check that the large red lead is a good contact at the battery and alternator :thumb:

Thanks, i have a feeling its something to do with the small wire. The alternator is brand new and has been tested.

Does the small wire initiate the charge? I thought it was just for the battery light?

Im only getting 12.4v when revving the engine though so definately have a charging issue too.

I'll have a go this weekend and report back!

Might get the van back on the road one day... :nutter:

Jas

Thanks, i have a feeling its something to do with the small wire. The alternator is brand new and has been tested.

Does the small wire initiate the charge? I thought it was just for the battery light?

Im only getting 12.4v when revving the engine though so definately have a charging issue too.

I'll have a go this weekend and report back!

Might get the van back on the road one day... :nutter:

Jas

it wont charge if the small wire isn't live as unlike dynamo's on older cars a alternator is not self exiting and needs a charge to start it charging (if you can understand that lol) as it is a small wire they can often break down of corrode it is for the battery light and normally if its lit then its connected but still worth checking in case lt's a poor connection etc

All sorted!

The small wire from alternator was shorting out as it runs from near the battery over to the drivers side and down through the bulkhead to the fuse box.

All working now!!

Final thing is to wire in the speedo signal into the new clocks and shes going in for MOT!

Thanks for the help / advice.. build thread coming soon!

Jas

:cheers: