hand brake gone, mk6 scott

roboboyo

Lads,

My hand brake has gone, tried to adjust it but no joy, it appears the back brakes may be at flat, does anybody know what parts i require? I dont want to change the parts that i dont need to, also, as its a 1.6 running 2.0 silver top, what would be the highest spec brakes (from what car, eg gti etc) that would be a direct replacement without any modding?

cheers

If the handbrake has gone and the front cable has not snapped, as your car has rear drum brakes, it could be the self adjusters which has worn.

I experienced similar and by making adjustment at the handbrake, to get the handbrake to lock the rear wheels, I adjusted it so much, than when applying the hanbrake while on my way to the MOT test, I snapped the front/short handbrake cable.

On closer inspection, I discovered the self adjusting ratchet mechanism within the drum had worn.

Prior to snapping the cable, I was able to make rear brake adjustment with the wheels off the ground but once I lowered the car and applied the foot brake, all adjustment was lost, which also effected the handbrake.