Engine knocking when starting

Jacko_XR3i

Hi guys. as the topic says.... Just done my first quick engine clean today. I've done plenty of reading up on various sites and believe I've done what is needed to clean my engine safely! I.E. covering up electrics etc. However, I started to clean the engine down, turned on the car with no problems to warm the engine through and help dry up any excess water hanging about and all was good.

Just for piece of mind I turned the car off once warmed through and tried to start it again, as I turned the key it struggled to start and was knocking as the engine was turning over! :curse: the car did eventually start but it was knocking that got me concerned

*JUST NIPPED OUT TO THE CAR TO TRY IT AGAIN IN THE MIDDLE OF MAKING THIS POST*

Ok so I've just been out to the car and started it again and fingers crossed... it started with no knocking. X(

thinking about it, when i started the car initially to warm the engine through, i actually left it running for quite a while as i cleaned up, so much so that i remember the fan kicking in 2, 3 maybe 4 times. could this also be a possible cause? Im slightly baffled.... im gonna try it again tomorrow to see how it starts so we shall see.

If anyone has had anything similar or any ideas though please shout up! :unsure:

I think I was just being a little panicy yesterday as Ive never attempted an engine clean and just thought the worst! Started her up today with no problem! probably was just the exhaust or something knocking as it was trying to turn over on the starter as you say :blush: