zetec pistons

scottybo

may be a silly questions

im after a new set of pistons for my 1.8, it let a cambelt slip some time ago, before i owned it and as a result all the pistons have small amounts of damage from the valves hitting them (they may very well be fine to use but for my pace of mind id prefer to replace them.

my questions is, which would be the best pistons to use, just the standard silvertop ones? or are the pistons from the 1,8 focus any different / any better.....and would focus pistons fit?

only reason i ask is ive found chap who sells pistons rods and rings for a tenner a piece which sounds reasonable. but they all came from a focus

You need pistons that are the right size for the bore, which means you need to measure each of your bores (properly) and find a suitable piston. The specified piston to bore clearance is about 1.7 thou max IIRC.

• 4 weeks later...

look at it this way: (long story shortened but happens pretty often around) a person opens his engine, changes piston rings etc, puts everything back together in the right way ofc, everything is by the book. Fires up the engine - rough idle/running, excessive oil usage, bad compression.

Reason: as the engine runs the cylinders get an oval shape (not all, possibly those on higher mileage, but still..) So perfectly round new piston rings in oval "cylinder" doesn't sound good. Putting in not just piston rings but pistons which aren't made for that grade of engine wear is even badder.

Current piston rings have the shape of the cylinder if i can say it that way. Best thing to do if pistons are still in the block is clean them and if they are ok fill the cylinders with kerosin to loosen the piston rings from any deposits and move freely. That i'd do. Or if they are already out of the block i'd go straight for 2.0. Or if this is not an option i'd have to rebore/rehone the cylinder to get it round again and then put in the according pistons.

Edited by opexo