Car won't start

davec

I've just removed the fusebox on my MK6 to try and solve an issue with the rear screen heater.Connected it back up and the starter wouldn't operate on the key.

Checked plugs etc, wiring and feed going to R13,feed and switch feed both there.If I turn ignition key to start and push in R13 the car turns over but doesn't start.I've also noticed that when I turn the ignition on the LED below the clock no longer comes on.Anyone with any thoughts much appreciated.

I've checked all connections,relays etc and all seem ok.I marked everything I removed in order to put everything back as it was.Everything works except the rear screen still,so all this hassle for nothing gained.

Nothing at all on start-up,usually you hear what I think is fuel pump,but I've noticed the LED  no longer illuminates under the clock when ignition is turned on. 

It's got to be something stupid

Any ideas would be much appreciated as I'm stumped.

I believe on the Mk 6 fuse box, to the rear & maybe underneath, there are two plugs which look identical and can be inserted into each other socket/receptical: maybe these plus have been inserted into the wrong sockets ?

As for the heated rear screen; if a hatchback, it could be due to the tailgate losing its Earth at the hinges due to wear or maybe rust ?

I ran a new Earth wire from the Earth of the rear fog light and bolted it to the Earth of the tailgate actuator; since doing so all the electrical issues I was experiencing with the tailgate have been resolved.

It looks like R2 feeds R3,fuel pump relay.The contacts on R2,one side fed direct from the battery if shorted out operate the fuel pump,light under clock and the engine turns over and starts.

I removed the fuse box and traced where the coil connections went to.One side went to earth,which checked out ok and the other side went to the large multiplug at the rear of the box,to try and find why R2 wasn't pulling in.

This is where the plot thickens,when checking this connection,their was no wire in the multiplug???????

I've ended up running a wire from the ignition switch to feed R2 coil+ and the car now runs.If anyone can explain this I'd appreciate it.