amp cooling?

John

righty ppl. the progress continues with my attempted install.... as most of you know the headunis in fitted and working a dream. i put the sub and amp in as a tempory measure really just to run the sub in before the install is all done properly.

just run it for like 20-25 minutes on the way home from work and the gain isn't even on 1/4 power yet and the amp gets so hot it's unreal it actually burns ya hand! now my worry is that in the end that amp is gonna be pretty much boxed in, not sealed in or anything so air will still be able to get to it but just not as much X(

so is there like a small external cooling fan i can get to use with it (it already has a internal fan) to cool it off a bit or am i just worrying about nothing here and can leave it be?

i dont think ur worrying over nothing. it shouldnt get that hot!

but sometimes they do and there aint shite you can do about it!, so i recommend getting a couple of cooling fans n just situated them at an angle either side of the amp. that should keep it cool. bear in mind though, don't go too mad with the cooling. only cool the amp so it is touchable, but STILL hot. they dont perform well when cold...

sime i'm not sure if it's got thermal cut out or not it's a ZAPCO 500R and they ain't cheap so i'd imagine its got something there ?(

was talking to a guy this afternoon he rekons mono-block amps always get hotter than normal amps anway so not too worry until things start to melt :roll:

think i'll keep a eye on it see how it goes

sime i'm not sure if it's got thermal cut out or not it's a ZAPCO 500R and they ain't cheap so i'd imagine its got something there ?(

was talking to a guy this afternoon he rekons mono-block amps always get hotter than normal amps anway so not too worry until things start to melt :roll:

think i'll keep a eye on it see how it goes

Hmm not to sure if i would agree with that, but never mind.

Zapco amps are very very good and should have protection built in.

Should get THAT hot tho !

I would recomend u build yourself a sinple relay using your HU remote turn on to switch the fan on and off.

Is it under a false floor ?

it's just screwed down to the mdf i've layed down for a floor for now. in the end it's gonna be part of a proper build i hope so it'll be nicely positioned behind some perspex (sp) and all that.....so the plan is anyways..what it turns out like is a whole different story