Changed wheels now i have problems.

Cyrix

Right ive changed my 14" for 16" Ford 5 spokes. Now im getting bad juddering over 30mph while braking. IT doesnt do it when accelrating, so that for me rules out the possibility of a buckled wheel or hub etc it goes in a straight line without any problems.

I took it to a garage and told him id changed the alloys for a set of bigger ones and he said i needed some plastic inserts to centre the wheel on the hub? ummm ive never seen this before and certainly on all the cars ive owned ive not had them. So i went and checked my old set of alloys and they didnt so i think hes walknig on his hands.

Would unblanced wheels give that effect?

Any thoughts, also everythnig was fine prior to swappnig the wheels

unbalanced wheels will give that effect but what the guy was talking about with the shims is right (the plactic bits) the wheels are made oversize to fit more that jus one car and the shims take up the slack in the gaps, if not fitted the wheel will not sit central on the brake disc and can be dangerous.

Why would my disks warp instantly as soon as ive swapped them? :P

OK, i took the sensible advice given and had my wheels balanced, which sorted it right out, Just a bit vibey over 70 mph now, so im gonig bakc tog et them reblanced cos i dont think they are exactly right.

Ta for the sensible help anyhow :)