hi

jus bought a 1998 1.8 gti (115 horse)

and it runs very hot

(between the L of normail and the red)

is this normal?

the fan kicks in real about here to.

im not losing coolant or gettin white smoke so my head and gasket is ok

anywawy my question is is there anyway i can make my fan cut in earlier

im not sure about the gti but I don't think I've ever seen my 1.6s needle move out of the bottom bit on the dial (maybe it's broken lol I should check). but if there's no smoke and your coolant is fine....I don't know anyway u can make the fan kick in any earlier either? Maybe the sensor's not working right?

When my thermostat exploded (And i mean, literally exploded) it would sit fine at idle and not overheat until you started to drive it. Maybe you should try that, could give you a bit of an idea as to what is wrong?

mine did the opposite...... let it sit there and tick over and it would fly up but if i drove it it would be half way on the gaugue

tyr the thermostat first, they're only about a fiver or tenner. the thermostat can get either stuck open or closed. if it gets stuck closed, water will not circulate thorught the engine thus causing it too overheat. if it get stuck open, water will be circulating the moment u turn the key therefore the engine will take ages to warm up or not warm up at all (ie if u r going along fast). the thermostat may not be totally knackered but u will notice a difference as soon as u change it because it will work more efficiently.

cheers lads

i'll take my thermastat out all together  :D

Hope you are'nt serious-you'll cook the engine.The fan will never come on if the thermostat isn't there to tell it to come on.

Just buy a new one, I don't think they are expensive.

used to run all my old skool car without a thermostat. It wont boil, its geting ALL the water running round it at all time :)