spongy brakes

BlairM

I was on my private test track tonight, :)) slowed down from 100 to 50 quite quickly.

the brakes felt really really spongy after that, and after i left them cool down, i went out and the pads were loose but they just moved back into the right position!

I can't believe how easy the went spongy, is it just cos I used cheap motor factor ones ? :D

In theory, you're meant to be able to do 5 terminal velocity (70mph) full stops before brake fade, in reality, one'll send most standard brakes into fluid overheat.

Standard discs don't dissipate the heat well enough, they're only designed for a few panic brakes at once.

I got a set of brand new focus brakes, on four sets of new pads, and it had discs all round, to fade noticeably after a 90 to stopped brake test. Now that's pretty poor!

just the fluid heating up, if it heats excessively it can boil and when it cools it causes air bubbles. if they feel spongy when they are cold now then you need to bleed or even change the fluid :thumb:

other than that its just brake fade, the hotter a pad gets it looses its frictional qualities which in turn means u got less brakes. :)